Besides that clothing can be used again in any form or type, discarding would be a waste. It is not just the material is discarded but also the water and energy that went into it during manufacturing is also goes waste. Fresh water is a dwindling resource and the energy use contributes to global warming which is the biggest environmental problem of times. Avoid throwing out any textile or clothing considered as rags might have some use and value. Textiles do not easily degrade under landfill conditions because of lack of sunlight and oxygen.
Motifs of secondhand and recycled clothing:
- Through education and cooperative government agencies, people need to recognize the need and importance of clothing - second-hand and recycled.
- Acceptance of clothing recycling and second-hand will help to encourage the maximum recycling of textile wastes and can minimize the amount of materials which goes into the waste stream.
- Clothing recovered for second-hand use are generally exported.
- Clothing recycle process are done without producing any new hazardous waste or harmful by products.
- The main aim of clothing recycle is to increase the amount of textile waste which can be recovered and at the same time can develop new uses, products and markets.
Some of the benefits of recycling textile:
Recycling clothing and second-hand clothing can benefit:
- Reduce solid waste in landfills
- Can provide employment to semi-skilled and marginally employable:
- Demonstrates sustainability and environmentalism
- Reduces carbon footprint
- Creates economic development
- Converts waste clothing into value added clothing