They are two category of concrete pumps used basically for transporting and they are:
- Direct acting concrete pumps:
The concrete direct acting pumps operation is simply with horizontal piston type with semi rotary valves. The concrete are fed into the pump by gravity and partly by suction created due to the reciprocating motion.
- Squeeze type concrete pumps:
It is smaller portable peristaltic type pumps known as squeeze concrete pumps. Where the concrete from the collecting hopper feed by rotating blades into a flexible pipe connected to the pumping chamber.
Advantages of concrete pumping:
- Constant flow – concrete pumps can pump concrete as rapidly as a truck mixer.
- Large capacity of concrete placed per hour - A static pumping can pump over 50 m per hour to the top of tallest high rise buildings.
- Fewer emaciated man hours – the people placing the concrete need to wait for the next batch. The continuous Flow from a concrete pump means saving the time.
- Concrete placed on the exact location – the placing hose can be moved exactly around where concrete is needed to place.
- Lower labor cost - only minimum of labor needed to distribute the concrete.
- Quicker setup times - In the site mobile pump is used to extend its outrigger and boom be pumping concrete in numerous floors up within an hour.
Pumping the concrete is one aspect of the overall task. Another is controlling where the concrete is placed. It can be done by manually positioning the end of the hose, a remote controlled articulated placing boom is often used to the position the placing hose exactly where the concrete is needed.